Indian PM Modi convened an emergency cabinet meeting to approve an executive order.
According to this order, the police is responsible to complete rape investigations within 2 months and expand greatest sentences for the rape of girls under 16 and women.
- Cabinet approved the law in emergency meeting defensive children from sexual offences that will set the lowest amount penalty for the gang rape of a child under 12 to life imprisonment or death, and the minimum for the rape of a child to 20 years up to the greatest sentence of death. The smallest amount punishment for the rape of a child under 16 is also doubled to 20 years.
- If any Offender rape girls fewer than 12 may now be subject to the death penalty in India, Cabinet approved the law on Saturday after a countrywide furore over the rape and murder of an 8-year-old girl.
- The chair of Delhi’s commission Swati Maliwal Saturday told for the woman, she said the entire country was furious, and it cannot occur that the central government does not listen to us. Some modify will happen. But after a Cabinet approved the law will end a 9-day hunger strike she staged to protest government inaction over the controversial rapes. She was happy about the government’s move but said police still require more responsibility and income according to Swati Maliwal.
- India requirements to improve its prosecution and conviction rate for rape and child sexual abuse cases a death sentence will not act as a deterrent. The rate of rapes has not decreased since the death penalty for the crime was introduced in India in 2013 Supreme Court lawyer said.
- According to the Ms Nundy, The death penalty is simple political candy to hand out to angry and disturb citizens, but it’s much harder to work on justice systems that guarantee swift, certain punishment for sexual assault or to limit the aggressive patriarchies that cause rape in the first place,”