Seems like soon we will have to switch for WhatsApp for all money related issues as news came out that WhatsApp will soon allow money transfer to bank accounts via Unified Payment Interface (UPI).
Little surprise huh! How a messaging app is turning out to be totally badass in the venture in technology. The feature is currently on testing and feature is currently available for limited batches only.
As the feature will be accessible through UPI so the mobile number through which people have registered on WhatsApp is used to ease down bank linking process.
The payment process will only be used for that number that is registered on both WhatsApp and bank account.
As soon as the feature becomes approved then it would be not such heck as the payment will be processed through direct messaging. Though there would be some privacy rules through which one feel safe while transferring money. Initially, the target would be on major banks like SBI, Airtel money, ICICI Bank and Axis bank etc.
An additional advantage is that group payment processing will also be available however one needs to point out the individual before processing the payment.
Though, it would take time to appear on WhatsApp web. At present, it can only be accessible through mobile. If any of your friends have already got this feature then you can request an invite from him.
In Android, the payment feature can be accessed by two methods. Either select the payment option in Settings tab available or visit their friends profile on WhatsApp. This is how it works
1. Chose a friend you want to transfer the money and open their profile on WhatsApp.
2. Select the payment option available in the attachment section.
3. You have to accept terms and conditions before moving to another step.
4. After accepting T&C users have to select the available bank account from which transaction will be processed.
5. A verification process would take place which can be confirmed through SMS.
6. Make sure to that bank account and WhatsApp are linked to the same number.
7. UPI option should be available in bank account beforehand. If not, then users can simply create a UPI account with a pin via Whatsapp.
8. Select the amount and pay it after entering generated UPI pin
9. The money will be transferred to friend’s bank account.
10. Users can also keep track of their payments procedure via payment history option.